RE: Re: cooling fans T/R 2/4

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re: cooling fans T/R 2/4
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 07:47:10 -0700
> I would love to have absolute proof there was a '"tropical fan" for TR4s.
> (and any proof is welcomed!)

Carl, I have no proof, but the legend handed down to me was that the 6-blade
metal fan was originally an aftermarket accessory for the TR2-3 manufactured
in Australia.  ST/Leyland later started installing it on cars destined for
warm climates (like Oz & US).  I don't recall now if these were supposedly
the same physical fan, but I know a fellow that was involved in importing
them from Oz; I'll ask him next time I see him.  Piggott's "Original TR"
(page 65) mentions the 6-blade being only on export TR4A.

> The third fan - introduced with TR4As - had a similar bi-metal
> construction
> but with six-blades. (the so-called 'tropical fan')

Which, BTW, is shown in the TR4A SPC, Stanpart 211986

> The fourth fan was a six-bladed light yellow plastic one for mid
> TR4As.

Is this Stanpart 307145 ?  The drawing in the SPC only shows 4 blades, but
since it's clearly a drawing of the old 4-blade metal fan, it might well be
wrong.  Note that (according to the SPC) this fan apparently did not use the
4 bolts into the fan extension, only a single locating pin, and so had a
different fan extension.

> There are two versions of the six-bladed metal fan.

Note that this would be consistent with the legend above ... and makes more
sense to me than the factory having redesigned the 6 blade metal fan in such
a short time.

> And somebody .. please .. send me proof verifying there was really such a
> thing called a TR4A 'tropical fan'.

Not a "TR4A" tropical fan ... it was for TR2-4.  Would a statement from a
fellow that personally imported them from Oz (and sold them in California)
be enough proof ?  Some (Ok, most) have called him unreliable, but there
doesn't seem to be any reason for him to lie about it ... importing those
fans from Oz is supposedly what got him started in a career of supplying
Triumph parts.

Randall