re: cooling fans T/R 2/4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: cooling fans T/R 2/4
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:01:17 EDT
Randall,

Thanks for your reply regarding the 6-bladed TR 'tropical' radiator fan.

I have a feeling the TR2-3 tropical fan became standard for the first
5-10,000 TR4As.

I have almost a dozen photographs of different early TR4As with this 6-blader
radiator fan.

Plus two significant and early books show TR4A's with the 6-blader (with the
fat-headed rivets);
1) 'Triumph TR4 & TR4A Workshop Manual - 2nd Edition' (see 'Steering' photo
#22 and 'Suspension' photo #31).
2) 'The Triumph TRs' authored by the semi-famous Graham Robson in 1978 (see
'Engine Bay' photo pg. 43)

Digging deeper, would your importer friend remember a 'blade cracking
problem' on the two versions of 6-blader (fat rivet head Vs. small rivet head),
and
which one came first?

Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

>Carl, I have no proof, but the legend handed down to me was that the 6-blade
metal fan was originally an aftermarket accessory for the TR2-3 manufactured
in Australia.  ST/Leyland later started installing it on cars destined for
warm climates (like Oz & US).  I don't recall now if these were supposedly
the same physical fan, but I know a fellow that was involved in importing
them from Oz; I'll ask him next time I see him.
Randall