RE: arugh more problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: arugh more problems
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 17:48:06 -0700
> 1) there is  a resistor capacitor  attached to  the  coil  that
> has  come
> loose  can i  replace this  locally instead  of  have to  order
> from the big 3

Most likely

> and if  so  what  exactly  do  i need???

Depends on whether it's a resistor or a capacitor.  Does it have two
terminals/wires or only one ?

If it's a capacitor, it's probably wired from the hot terminal to ground,
and the engine will run fine without it.

If it's a resistor, it's probably the ignition ballast resistor.  You should
be able to find a replacement ballast resistor at any parts store with a
counter droid smart enough to know what that is.  If they insist on knowing
the make, model and year; try "1968 Dodge Dart, 225 slant six".  Will most
likely be physically bigger than your original, but will work fine.

> 2)i pulled the  valve  cover  to  oil   the rockers and i notice
> one  of the
>  push rods is not  under the rocker  it is loose. then   i m
> able  to  take
> it  out  and  notice  it  is  bent. does  this  mean  i ll  have
> to  replace
>  the  whole  valve train.

Possibly not, but I'd sure want to inspect the other pushrods.  Be careful
when you lift them out that they don't pull the lifters out of their bores,
or you'll be pulling the head just to put the lifters back.

> or  do  i  have  a  stuck  valve  or  some thing.

Or something.

> any  and  all advice  will  help.

After replacing (or at least straightening) the bent pushrod, run through
and check all the valve adjustments.  As you're turning the engine from
cylinder to cylinder, watch that each valve opens and closes.  If all looks
OK, I'd go ahead and try to start it ... let it tell you how serious things
are down below <g>

Randall