Tonneau covers

To: "Listers" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tonneau covers
From: "Peter Arakelian" <PeterAra@MSN.COM>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 19:53:25 -0700
Seal-send-time: Sat, 8 May 2004 19:53:25 -0700 FILETIME=[DB5D9890:01C43570]
<Is the Sunfast canvas worth the extra cost? How about Everflex compared to
Robbins
vinyl? I saw a post recently that said the Moss standard cover leaks through
the zipper. Have other people experienced this?>

OK short lesson on tonneaus.
On my TR6 it seals better than the top.  Yes, occasionally a little water
comes in through the zipper - it is not watertight!  But not enough to cause
any concern.  Only a very little.  It is the one weak point in any tonneau.
Water can get in two ways.  Directly as water hits square onto the zipper and
it drips in.  Indirectly by water pooling on the tonneau to the point where it
overflows into the zipper.  Most tonneaus have a seam on either side of the
zipper and if put on tight enough will not leak by pooling.  Direct leakage is
more dependent on the design of the tonneau - most do not have a flap over the
top of the zipper.  But again, I have gotten very little leakage that way and
it has been outside in significant downpours.  Some people will run a bar of
soap along the zipper to create a seal.
Material.. Generally three types - crushed grain vinyl, sunfast cloth, British
everflex.
Crushed grain is the basic replacement stuff.  It looks close to original and
is least expensive.  It is a good material.
Sunfast cloth is, IMHO, the top of the line.  It looks fantastic.  Stays soft
and pliable, does not shrink with age, and lasts a LONG time.
British everflex is the original stuff and is almost as expensive as sunfast
cloth.  Is softer than crushed grain.

Peter Arakelian - '71 TR6, Daily Driver