Gas in Oil

To: "Ian Clough" <iclough@rim.com>
Subject: Gas in Oil
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:22:48 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i4CCOVvL009429
Message text written by "Ian Clough"
>I just got my TR6 out of its winter storage, while checking the oil I
noticed it was over filled - strange - so I sniffed it and just as I
suspected, it smelled of gas.

I did some work on the hoses last fall and I remember putting more
anti-freeze in the rad, I hope that wasn't the cause (not enough)...

Any ideas?
<

If you parked the car witha  full tank (as is often advocated) then the
fule level will be higher than the carbs and a minor leak past the float
valve in the carb will overflow the jets and the fuel will run down the
intake manifold and into the cylinders, past the rings and into the sump.
Grose Jets are notorious for not sealing off completely.

That said, I once stored my TR6 for about 7 months with a full tank and had
no such problem.  Stock needles and seats have neoprene tips that do seal
off effectively (when fresh).

No real harm bone if you drain and refill before operating.

Cheers

Dave Massey
71 TR6