octane/timing/performance

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> i4CJb8vL027122
Subject: octane/timing/performance
From: "Arakelian, Peter" <arakelianp@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:37:15 -0700
I would like to start an on-list discussion of octane, timing and performance.
I have a stock 1971 TR6.  I currently run premium gas, which is what is
recommended.  With all the vacuums, etc attached I time it at 8 BTDC.  No ping,
runs great.
My understanding is that lower octane gas burns faster and a little hotter, but
at 20 cents/gallon cheaper it is tempting to switch to the lower octane and
retard the timing until it doesn't ping.
Any thoughts?  What are the down sides?  Has anyone done this?  Am I missing
something?

Peter Arakelian
Domestic Buyer
Moss Motors, Ltd.