Electrical resistance in solenoid

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical resistance in solenoid
From: paul.hingston@agric.nsw.gov.au
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:15:24 +1000 |February 13, 2003) at 17/05/2004 03:15:27 PM, Serialize complete at 17/05/2004 03:15:27 PM
Hi Listers

I have been a list "lurker" for a little time but have rarely had a
problem worthy of testing the "brains trust" of the list.

I have a friend in town who has just recently become a proud 1963 TR4
owner. The car is fitted with an "A" type OD (the one with the brass
washer on the underside). Unfortunately when he bought the car he was
shown masses of receipts showing the work on the gearbox and OD so when
the OD didn't work on the test drive he thought it would only be a minor
problem to fix. Well some time and money later the OD has been overhauled,
with some evidence of mechanical failure, but still no action.

It appears the problem has now been isolated to the electrics (surprise
surprise!!). Apparently the solenoid will activate but without enough
effort to engage the OD. The auto electrician needs to know the electrical
resistance required in the solenoid to activate the lever to engage the OD
(his words), if all that makes sense.

I have read some amazing answers to questions posed to the list so I don't
expect this problem will be without someone out there that has experienced
the problem, and hopefully has the solution.

Can someone throw  an Aussie a lifeline please?

thanks in anticipation

Paul Hingston
'65 TR4A
Orange,
NSW, Australia

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient or
received it in error, please delete the message and notify sender. Views
expressed are those of the individual sender and are not necessarily the
views of their organisation.