RE: Electrical resistance in solenoid

To: <paul.hingston@agric.nsw.gov.au>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electrical resistance in solenoid
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:54:18 -0700
> It appears the problem has now been isolated to the electrics (surprise
> surprise!!). Apparently the solenoid will activate but without enough
> effort to engage the OD.

Paul, something else that might be worth mentioning here ... there is a
known problem where the solenoid can be visually seen (and heard) to move
completely and the operating lever is properly adjusted according to the
book procedure; but the OD still does not engage reliably.  If pressing on
the "setting lever" on the opposite side will then let it engage, your
friend might have this problem.  The solution is presented at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD4/AOD4.htm
(scroll down to the section on "Adjusting the Operating Valve")

BTW, I disagree with Brian, IMO the ball lift should be in the 1/32 - 1/16
(.030" - .060") as given in the Healey instructions.  As Nelson said on the
web page, it will still work down to perhaps .015" ... but the extra motion
does no harm and will ensure it will keep working even if the mechanism
wears a bit more or a piece of dirt finds it's way into the solenoid, etc.

BTW, the given link to Del Border's article is incorrect, it should be
http://www.team.net/www/healey/tech/big_hly/od/delborder_od.html

Interesting reading, although not entirely relevant.  Seems the folks at
Triumph already knew the "OD competition secrets of the 60's" ... the
indicated modifications were done at the factory for the TR3A !

Randall