Re: TR3A starter click, (too occasionally)

To: <Popnglo@aol.com>, <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A starter click, (too occasionally)
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 18:11:05 -0700

> In a message dated 05/18/2004 7:34:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:
>
> > What are the symptoms of the "dead spot" ?  Does it spin uselessly,
> > "click-nothing" or just dead silence ?
> >

> Click - nothing from the dash push button. Also bridging the two terminals
on
> the fire wall push button solenoid no click-nothing, push button on the
> solenoid no click-nothing.
>
> For a while rocking the car while in gear made the starter work. Now no
> amount of rocking. Push starts just fine. As I posted once before. I have
the
> original LUCAS shrouded starter (date stamped ("65") 1965, I suppose), but
I've yet
> to find a rebuilder for it. Anyone rebuild these on their own? How
difficult?

> Best Regards,
>
> Ed (58 TR3A)

Ed,

If it's the original starter and the car is a '58 TR3A, I doubt the "65"
means 1965. But that's neither here nor there, your original starter was
most likely a "bullet" nosed one.  I would recommend some more testing
before ditching the gear reduction starter. Is it safe to assume you have
checked the battery and that is strong?  If so, you may have a bad cable
going to the starter.  Try a pair of jumper cables, attach one directly from
the positve terminal on the battery to the stud on the starter. Attach the
other to the negative terminal on the battery and touch it to ground (you do
have negative ground, right?).  If the strater doesn't spin, then I would
guess it's time to take it out and look for internal problems.

If it does spin, then you can move the jumper cable from the + battery
terminal to the starter side of the solenoid and do the same thing. Since
you crossed the solenoid and that didn't do anything, we can assume that's
not the problem and you should now know which cable to replace.

Hope this helps,
Bob