TR4 rear diff: half axle shims

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 rear diff: half axle shims
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:08:51 -0600
I'm about finished installing my replacement axle on the TR4. You may
recall something inside the original rear diff gave up, with loud
clunking, and now that it's removed the diff barely turns in one
direction. Anyway the original half-axles looked fine, splines are
healthy looking, and I'm considering installing my old half-axles in the
new axle. The new axle is actually a used axle, with studs for bolt on
wheels, and though I bought it for when I eventually get minilites I'm
not there yet. So if I use my old half-axles I can just throw my wires
back on -- without spacers -- and I'm on my way.

Question 1: is it okay to do this, or are there subtle goings-on inside
the diff that would make it important to use the half-axles that came
with the new rear end?

Question 2: if it's pretty much okay to put the old half-axles in the
new rear end, what should I do about the shim packs? The old axle had
two shims on each side, and the new axle had one on the left and three
on the right. Guessing that the shims adjust for the centering of the
guts of the diff, I'm leaning towards using the new axle shim packs (1
and 3) with the old half-axles. If that makes sense, does it sound
right? Thanks.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO