RE: Bending brake lines

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bending brake lines
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:21:46 -0700
> If you  want to do it right go to Aircraft Spruce & Specialty, or, better
> yet,  Rigid Tools, www.rigid.com and get their 1/4 inch lever tube
> bender.   I'll bet you collapse the inner radius the first six or seven
> times you try  to bend it over a mandrel by hand
>
> =====
> No offense, but I've been doing it this way off and on for over
> 30 years  and
> haven't botched a job yet. ;-)

Like so many other things, there is a knack to it.  Some people have it,
others can learn it, some crimp the tubing every time.

I use a pair of very inexpensive benders (each a different radius), IMO they
work much better than trying to form over a simple cylindrical mandrel.
Unfortunately, they don't seem to be sold in stores any more, you'll have to
settle for something more complicated (and expensive) like
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3755

It unfortunately looks like it only does one radius, which is too large for
some places on a TR (like the rear wheel cylinders).

Randall