Re: Do it yourself alignment question (TR3A)

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Do it yourself alignment question (TR3A)
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:16:51 -0700
McEwen, Art wrote:

>...if the correct toe-in is say 2 degrees, how do I know
>one wheel isn't in 1.5 degrees and the other is .5?

I think you know when you drive it -- the steering wheel would be cocked
one way or the other in straight-line driving (assuming it has not been
altered in the interim).  I suppose you could reposition the steering
wheel but it is probably easier & better to tweak the tie-rods an equal
number of turns until the steering wheel is centered when driving straight.

Lots of methods for aligning -- I use a 6' ruler, rafter square and
marks on the floor.  There is also a method using push-pins and string
and there are purpose-made swiveling plates that the front wheels sit on
that use a pair of tape measures.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4