Clutch or starter noise

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch or starter noise
From: Andreas <diggle@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 17:47:16 +1200
1962 TR4

Mine is a 1962 that has clutch work done by me
I found it particularly difficult to put the box back as it weighed quite a
bit due to the overdrive.
It now makes a noise that is like a noise that I had when I put the wrong
bearing into  the back of the flywheel of a Hillman Hunter.
The bearing was too small and allowed the input shaft to flop around and hit
the pressure plate when I engaged the clutch.
I called in my mate the who is a mechanic, who said that it sounds like the
starter jamming on the flywheel.
We have now recond the electrical end of the starter but have yet to find a
replacement pinnion and sleeve.
I didn't realise that the Lucas M418G starter comes in many flavours ie it is
not the M418G that specifies the model of starter but the 5 numbers starting
with 25--- that denote which model starter.
I am hoping that it was the starter as I don't relish taking the box back
out.
My clutch works aside from sounding like something in there is about to
disintegrate

TR4's have aluminium at the back of the cockpit that the softtop clips onto,
does anyone know where to get these as Moss etc don't have them.

Jim Vass