Re: TR3A Week 2--"Now Starter" Update

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Week 2--"Now Starter" Update
From: Triumph TR2 <triumphtr2@direcway.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:59:28 -0400
Hi Randall - no surprise to anyone on the list I'm sure, but you were right.
I expect and deserve a 'told you so'.

Even though the bullet-type starter came off the car, the trans housing has
the longer bulge for the newer starter, and bolt-on ring gear.  After having
the old starter rebuilt, and spending the better part of a day installing, I
can sadly confirm that mine is NOT one of the mismatches that works OK.
Judging from the spares that came with it, the parts car was an older 3 (I
have a spare older type trans housing among the extras), and the PO swapped
starters at some point.

>From my post a few weeks ago, I received some referrals for sources of gear
reduction starters from FT and others, and am now going to get one, and
mothball my newly rebuilt bullet nose for the TR2 when I tackle it.

 Cameron Joyce
'59 TR3A (rolling, not running)
'54 TR2 (resting, not rolling)

> > >Comm # is TS 54487, so would seem to need the newer one BUT,
> > > the starter that came off is the old type... guessing either
> > the engine is
> > > older than the chassis, or the old starter was the wrong one?

> Curious ... I always thought the 50K cross-over was gospel.  Do these cars
> have the later transmission housing ?  What about the transmission
dipstick
> ?  Trans tunnel ?

... ideally the flywheel should match the starter of