Clutch problem

To: "Paul Mitchell" <paul@cynthesys.co.za>
Subject: Clutch problem
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:57:48 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net i82Mw6dM005918
Message text written by "Paul Mitchell"
>My clutch has recently started working intermittently, in that it
doesn't always work when I press the pedal. It seems that the lever is
not puching the clutch far enough to release. If I go under the car I
can create the same effect by pushing the rod back into the slave
cylinder, i.e. towards the front of the car. The pedal then works after
2 or 3 pumps. If it is relevant, a friend with a TR5 thinks my clutch is
heavy.

My best guess is that the seal in the slave cylinder is knackered, but I
can't see why it would let the pushrod back far enough to give a
problem.
<

Or the spring is broke.  On a TR6 there is a spring that will keep the
throwout bearing is light contact with the clutch.  If the spring breaks
then the piston, lever, fork, etc will move back and forth in response to
car movements and the trowout bearing will not be in contact with the
clutch and you loose too much pedal travel moving it there.

At least, if your luck that is the problem.  Other causes could be a broken
taper pin (that attaches the throwout fork to the shaft) or thrust washers
in the engine (it doesn't get any worse than that).

But check the slave cylinder first.

Cheers

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: