Move to US

To: <russell@daftconsulting.co.uk>
Subject: Move to US
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:54:46 +0100
Cc: "6Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Quick thought for you - I'm shortly moving from the UK to the US, and
am contemplating taking my 2500S with me. It's OK on 97RON unleaded
fuel over here, but doesn't like 95 too much.
My question is - what's fuel quality/rating like commonly in the
States - and equally are octane 'boosters' readily available?

For a start, I think I'm correct in saying the octane measurement isn't in
RON and I don't know the co-efficient to convert. That said, high octane
pump fuel is available, I think - and there appears to be an abundance of
octane boosters.
You are aware (of course) that the Mk 2 Innsbruck was never marketed in
North America, though a very few examples have 'snuck in' during later
years. This means body parts will probably be virtually impossible to obtain
from the US suppliers - so you'll have to keep your links with the UK. I
doubt this will apply so much to mechanical components as so much on the 'S'
was shared with the TR6 of which you will find plenty.
I'm cross-posting your thread to two other email lists that are heavily US
TR6 populated and I'm confident you'll have a number of replies in response
to the points raised.
Depending on where you plan to live, I feel some research on import problems
and whether the Americans will regard your car as a 'collector car' would be
advisable - emissions and crash legislation might pose a problem depending
on its manufacture date and then there is the question of insuring a car
that the majority of US insurers will never have heard of - and may even
tell you doesn't exist!!! A BMIHT build certificate from Gaydon might also
be a sensible precaution to obtain before the car hits US territorial
waters.
Of one thing you can be sure. Very few people over there will have seen a
2500S and I'm sure you'd be most welcome in whatever Triumph Club you choose
to join and I'm fairly certain you'll get a lot of help from fellow
enthusiasts. I hope so, anyway. Good luck!

Jonmac

"In the Shadow of my Father" aka "Life at Triumph"
http://www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook

---