RE: Engine overhaul parts?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Engine overhaul parts?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:21:07 -0700
> I recently acquired a '60 TR3A, TS68164L, and it has engine
> #CT74726E (from
> a TR4A?). I will need a complete engine rebuild

Important question : Why do you need a complete engine rebuild ?

> before the car goes back
> together, and I want to start stockpiling parts...it's a budget thing.

And how tight is your budget ?

> need it....but I will stockpile a gasket set or an oil pump if I
> know it's a
> "must replace" part.  Which parts should I plan to replace?

Need to know more about the engine's history, and how long you expect it to
run once it's back together.  Also, what is your time worth ?

For example, I consider a gasket set pretty much a requirement these days,
but in my youth I frequently made gaskets from roll gasket material because
it saved a few bucks.  And I still reuse head gaskets if I don't have a new
one handy & don't mind the possibility of having to replace it again.

I wouldn't (don't) replace an oil pump unless it's really fried ... so far
the book procedure of dressing down the housing to match the rotor has
worked fine for me.  New pumps (like many other parts) are frequently of
lower quality than original.

Pretty much all the other replaceable parts are "inspect and replace as
necessary".  Rod & main bearings are about the only things I absolutely
always replace ... if the engine isn't bad enough to need bearings then why
are you tearing it down ?

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: