Re: Engine overhaul parts?

To: "Steve Ball" <banjo1@thegrid.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Engine overhaul parts?
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:38:38 -0400 reply-type=original
Steve,
Does the engine now run? What are the issues with it. If it's just oil
pressure there are things that can be done to improve oil pressure without a
teardown. Have you done a compression check, does the engine burn oil or
just leak oil?

There are a few items that you should consider replacing and then some that
are must replacements if you'll be tearing into the engine that deeply.

Things to consider would be the timing chain and tensioner as they stretch
and the tensioner gets a groove worn into it by the chain. Consider a speedy
sleeve on the fan hub too when replacing the timing chain seal as the hubs
wear and can ruin a new seal pretty quickly if the surface is rough.
Consider a valve job too or at a minimum a good cleaning, crack inspection
and a lapping of the valves. A complete valve job with hardened inserts and
a re-surfacing of the head would be the top end of the scale for the head.
If you don't boil the block (and it's not necessary on a TR 4A engine) then
the camshaft bearings are likely to be OK otherwise that's again something
to consider. Some skill is required to get the oil holes aligned properly as
they are an interference fit installation and can rotate during
installation.

Must replacements would be rings, bearings, seals and gaskets. The
crankshaft should be checked for wear and ground too if badly worn. At the
same time they are checked for cracks. The camshaft should be checked for
lob wear too and replaced or re-ground if any of the lobes are worn.

Some thoughts on your question.

Jerry Van Vlack