Odd Brake problem

To: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@consolidated.net>
Subject: Odd Brake problem
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:47:35 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net i9BBoW5e007710
Message text written by "Ken Gano"
>My son and I have basically put a whole new brake system on his '61 Herald
-
we rebuilt the master cylinder, put in all new wheel cylinders and brake
shoes, yet it had the same problem as before I quit driving it.  It will
start off fine, but within a few miles the front brakes will sieze.
Allowing it to sit until cool will free them, but it happens again within a
few miles.  I can't tell if is a result of heat or repeated pumping.
<

I recall this problem from a couple of years back and at that time I
suspected that the little cup that seals off the reservoir from the master
cylinder was not being pulled away from the opening.  At the time I thought
that maybe the little pin that pulls it back came disconnected from the
main piston but since you have done a rebuild, I doubt that that has been
repeated.  Perhaps the push rod to the brake pedal is no adjusted and not
allowing the master cylinder to fully return.  If you take the clevis pin
out will the pushrod want to come out further?

Good luck

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: