RE: Odd Brake problem

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Odd Brake problem
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:35:03 -0700
> My son and I have basically put a whole new brake system on his
> '61 Herald -
> we rebuilt the master cylinder, put in all new wheel cylinders and brake
> shoes, yet it had the same problem as before I quit driving it.  It will
> start off fine, but within a few miles the front brakes will sieze.

Have you checked that the brake pedal is reliably returning high enough to
leave slack in the pushrod to the master ?  If the MC piston doesn't return
solidly all the way against the stop, the foot valve won't open and can
cause exactly the symptom you describe.

David's comment about soft lines turning into check valves is right on the
money, too.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: