Re: Idle musings about TRactor flywheels & ring gears

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Idle musings about TRactor flywheels & ring gears
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:11:30 -0700
Randall Young wrote:

>But why bolt-on ?  Could it be they were worried about stocking spares for
>earlier cars, and planned to offer a bolt-on ring gear that would allow the
>later flywheel to be used with the early starter ??

Well I know I shouldn't and I would never suggest anyone else should,
but... I have the later bolt-on flywheel mated to the early bullnose
starter and experience no problems with it.  Been this way since long
before the 24 years I've had the car.... unknown tens of thousands of
starts.  Flywheel looks fine -- starter gear was fine the last time I
looked (about 22 years ago).  Not sure what bad things can happen with
this set-up but so far I think they haven't.

Again -- not recommended, just my personal experience most of which
occured when I 'didn't know no better'.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Mt Lemmon, AZ