Re: Idle musings about TRactor flywheels & ring gears

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Idle musings about TRactor flywheels & ring gears
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:56:46 -0700
> But why bolt-on ?  Could it be they were worried about stocking spares for
> earlier cars, and planned to offer a bolt-on ring gear that would allow
the
> later flywheel to be used with the early starter ??  Has anyone ever heard
> or seen such a thing ?

Perhaps to lower manufacturing costs? Just a WAG, but from having zero
knowledge (that just means I have much greater room to muse :-)), it would
seem an easier process requiring less equipment to screw in a few bolts than
to heat, then press on a heavy gear.  After all this was the age of the time
and motion study.

Bob

Check out the new British Cars Forum: