RE: Idle musings about TRactor flywheels & ring gears

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Idle musings about TRactor flywheels & ring gears
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:33:53 -0700
> I just
> started a working full time again which means I have to do this
> on a weekend
> so how do I keep the wife from finding out I'm boiling a flywheel in her
> soup kettle?

Treat her to a manicure & pedicure at the local salon.

> That's just a joke, please don't answer it,

Too late <g>

> but if you have any hints or
> tricks for heating the gear up sufficently without overheating,

The book does actually say to boil it, but IMO you're in no danger of
overheating it in your kitchen oven (or even a toaster oven if it's big
enough).  You could probably find a big enough toaster oven at the local
thrift shop for $10.

However, I'm not responsible for what happens after you're seen wandering
around the thrift store with a ring gear in your hand !

Stick the flywheel in the freezer while you're baking the ring gear.  With
the flywheel at 0F and the ring gear at 400F, it should just about drop into
place.  It'll probably still need some encouragement, but not nearly as much
as if you only heat the ring gear to 212F and leave the flywheel at room
temp.

BTW, congrats on the new job.  Seems like the economy is finally turning the
corner.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: