Re: Selling a car on ebay

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Selling a car on ebay
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:53:32 -0700
Marty Sukey wrote:

>I am contemplating putting one of the GT6's up on eBay but am a little
>apprehensive about the money/title transfer thing using eBay.  Any of you
>folks sold a car that way and have any pointers you could share with me?

When I sold a car on eBay I requested the payment be by wire transfer --
IMO this is the surest way of getting real money.  Money orders,
certified checks & cashiers checks can be counterfeited I think.  If
someone had wanted to pay me with a shoebox full of cash I would have
had them meet me at the bank where the authenticity could be verifed.  I
put the wire transfer requirement in the listing and no one (among many
bidders) objected.

My buyer did not request anything prior to sending in $$$ but I
certainly would have been willing to send him a copy of the title and
registration to show that I owned the car free and clear.

You should request that any bidder with (0) feedback or negative
feedback contact you before bidding.  Could spare you wasting time with
bogus bidders.  FWIW my car was purchased by a buyer with (0) feedback
so they aren't necessarily just messin' with you.

When I bought a car on eBay I got a copy of the title & registration in
advance, but sent no money until the car was loaded onto the car shipper
(a barge in my case).  Once the shipper confirmed to me that they had
possession of the car then I wired the total amount.

In both cases I had several phone conversations with the other party as
direct contact (vs email) tends to make the whole thing go smoother.
Good luck!

Geo Hahn

Check out the new British Cars Forum: