RE: Selling a car on ebay

To: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Selling a car on ebay
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:16:51 -0700
> I am contemplating putting one of the GT6's up on eBay but am a little
> apprehensive about the money/title transfer thing using eBay.  Any of you
> folks sold a car that way and have any pointers you could share with me?

Marty, my suggestion is to use an escrow service.  I think eBay runs one and
there used to be others around for the same purpose.  I've not sold a car
this way, but I did use escrow when I bought a Judson blower on eBay.

Basically, the buyer forwards the money to the escrow service, and they
notify you that they have it.  Then you give the car to the buyer, and he
tells them to release the money to you.  The check they give you is drawn on
their account, and they are normally licensed and bonded, so you clearly
have recourse if their check turns out to be bad.  They get to take the risk
of the buyer's check being bad.  Of course they charge a fee for this
service, which normally comes out of the funds they forward to you (the
seller).

PayPal also offers protection against buyer fraud, but it's only good to
$5000/yr, probably not enough.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: