Starting a Long Dormant Engine

To: "Renee Morris" <a5a44201@telus.net>
Subject: Starting a Long Dormant Engine
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:43:30 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net i9FChm5e015321
Message text written by "Renee Morris"
>Can anyone provide some tips on things to do before starting a long
dormant engine? I'm thinking mostly of lubrication items.
<

Sounds like you've covered most of the things I would do but there is one
other: prime the lubrication system.  At the vary least take the plugs out
and turn the engine on the starter until the oil pressure comes up.  Then
continue to run for some 15 to 30 seconds.  This will ensure that all the
moving parts are prelubricated before starting.  A preferred method would
be to pull the distributor and and turn the oil pump with an electric drill
following the same regime as above.

Good luck

Dave

Check out the new British Cars Forum: