Re: Starting a Long Dormant Engine

To: "Renee Morris" <a5a44201@telus.net>
Subject: Re: Starting a Long Dormant Engine
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:23:45 -0700
> Now that I've got my vehicle wired up, its time to start it!  However,
> the engine hasn't run for about 15 years. My maintenance regime has
> involved turning it over by hand and squirting oil into the cylinders
> at
> regular intervals.
>
> Can anyone provide some tips on things to do before starting a long
> dormant engine? I'm thinking mostly of lubrication items.

First I would suggest draining out the old oil that has been sitting
inside the crank case and swapping out the fuel.  It has been sitting
exposed to moisture leaden air and may have formed some acids over time
and some of the more volatile compounds may have broken down as well.
Hold back that last qt of oil until just before you are ready to turn
the engine over.

Remove the plugs and the valve cover.  Pour that last qt f oil over the
top of your valve train so that most of it flows down the push rods to
lubricate the cam & lifters.  Turn the engine over on the battery until
you see the oil gauge registering oilpressure.  Replace the valve
cover, plugs and fire the puppy up.

I'm assuming you are using a freshly charged battery and fresh fuel.

I'm sure there are as many suggestions out there as there are people
who have started long dormant engines.  Probably more.

TeriAnn J. Wakeman
      Marigold Ltd.
      www.marigoldltd.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: