RE: Cheapo paint job

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Cheapo paint job
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:53:18 -0700
> I acquired an MG Midget a while ago (Hey, it's got a Triumph
> engine in it).  The paint is in bad shape.  See photo
> http://home.earthlink.net/~adrianjones747/
> I took it to a paint shop yesterday to get a quote for a cheap
> paint job. $3000 (including $600 to strip all the paint off)

You might want to shop around at different shops, then.  I only paid $2000
for the paint job on my TR3A, which included sanding it to bare metal
(through multiple layers of paint and bondo), a good deal of body work
(almost $1k of the $2k total and including welding in some repair panels),
"best grade" paint and a painted-on racing stripe.  Definitely not a
show-quality job, but lots of people seem to like it.

I went to "One Day Paint & Auto Body", which is a discount auto paint chain
somewhat similar to Earl Scheib (but a step up in price and quality, IMO).
Took them the car with all the trim removed, but ISTR they said it didn't
change the price.  Some of the trim on a TR3 is fragile, and I just didn't
trust them with it.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: