Re: Cheapo paint job

To: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cheapo paint job
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:36:11 -0700
At 8:16 -0700 20/10/04, Adrian Jones wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I acquired an MG Midget a while ago (Hey, it's got a Triumph engine
>in it).  The paint is in bad shape.  See photo
>http://home.earthlink.net/~adrianjones747/
>I took it to a paint shop yesterday to get a quote for a cheap paint
>job. $3000 (including $600 to strip all the paint off)  Yikes!  The
>guy says one fender (the one in the photo) has been bondoed.  Hence
>the "crazed" look (like the current owner).  A magnet still sticks,
>if that means anything.  He says the current paint (laquer) would
>have to come off.

Several years ago I had my 911 striped to bare metal, all the windows
removed, had 2 excellent used fenders put on it, & so on & it cost me
$4000 at the best shop in town.  The down side was they had it for 4
months (he told me ahead of time it would be his filler work).  But I
still get compliments on the finish.  I think you should to find
something much cheaper and still get good quality.

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CPE
Dept of Distance Education
Embry-Riddle University