Fwd: RE: TR4A ? engine

To: <jim.wallace@netscape.ca>
Subject: Fwd: RE: TR4A ? engine
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:48:49 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Having looked at the three pix submitted by Jim Wallace on the queried wet
liner four pot lump with twin SU's, my best guess is it probably came from a
Standard Vanguard Sportsman. I stress this is a guess because:

* Only 1000 were made between early 1956 and late 1957
* They were aimed at the US market but were too expensive and very few
actually got sold there. Mike Cook's book (Triumph Cars in America will
confirm the actual count) I believe one still exists somewhere within the
VTR network in fully restored condition. No doubt a VTR person can confirm?

Other indicators the engine is from a Sportsman are:

*Long crankshaft nose piece - for starting handle dog
* Similar/identical oil filter and filter head to that found on Petrol/TVO
Fergie tractors and also common with Vanguards (but not TR's of the
period????? - Tell me, someone. I was only 12 years old then!!)
* Twin SU's and what looks like a different exhaust manifold from that on
the Vanguard.

Further query. Was it found with its gearbox - or not? If yes, is the box is
a three speeder with overdrive and a column change, then it'll almost
certainly be Sportsman. For the curious,
www.motorbase.com/vehicle/by-id/1122/ will give you more of an overview of
this rare vehicle.

Spec? The Sportsman engine was not as it appears as a TR3 unit. It was
larger - 2088cc in place of 1991cc, lower CR and a tamer cam. From memory,
it produced somewhere between 80-90bhp but I stand corrected on data coming
from anyone with an original brochure or sales data book.

Jonmac

---