Re: TR4A ? engine

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4A ? engine
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:59:34 -0700
Jim Wallace wrote:

> A while back I posted that I had picked up this motor that by its
> serial number appears to be from a later 4A. Finally now I have got
> some photos developed; you can see them at:

My *guess* would be that it is just a TR4A engine that someone has used
whatever parts came to hand to keep running.  The fuel pump looks like
it could have come off a Bugeye Sprite.  That tstat housing is strange
but given the standard size of tstats many other makes would have
housings that could be made to fit (I would've turned it 180 degrees to
have the bypass outlet on the left side).  Look like they may have
screwed a temp sending unit into the fitting for the heater outlet.

30+ years ago these cars had a lot less value than today and replacement
parts were relatively expensive and not always readily available.  To
keep them running cheaply owners (me included) did some expedient
(albeit shameful) things.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4