Re: TRactor Engine Overheating

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TRactor Engine Overheating
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:36:49 -0700
John & Patricia Donnelly wrote:

>On the way to/from Triumphest my TR4A ran hot...
>
>Over time water escaped out through the radiator cap into the overflow
>reservoir. But, even with a full radiator the car still ran hot. Of strange
>note is that water was never "sucked" back into the radiator, so the reservoir
>always remained full and overflowed....

One possibility this suggests is a small head gasket leak that is
putting exhaust gases into the coolant jacket.  This would cause the
coolant to be forced out into the reservoir to the point of
overflowing... a pocket of 'air' in the coolant would also cause
ineffective cooling.

If this is the case you may be able to see bubbles in the coolant as you
carefully observe the open radiator neck and rev the engine.

I doubt that changing the lbs of the radiator cap, going to a different
degree tstat or adding water wetter are going to get at the problem.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon, AZ