TRactor Engine Overheating

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TRactor Engine Overheating
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 21:32:13 -0400
Cc: pdonnel1@san.rr.com
John wrote:

>Today I pulled the thermostat (it's a 160 deg), and tested it on the
>stove. It
>fully opens and closes, but it appears to "shudder" or step as it opens. It
>also looks like the bi-metallic piston is off center so I'm off to the parts
>store to get a $5.00 cheapy - this time a 185 deg. If the thermostat change
>doesn't cure the overheating the cause is either the radiator or a
>blockage in
>the block/head.
===============
John,
Try to find a replacement thermostat that has a large opening when it
opens. Somewhere someone once noted that the modern "happens to fit in the
hole" replacement has a much smaller opening and that when a unit was found
witha larger opening his cooling problems were greatly reduced. As I recall
it involved reducing the outer diameter (via a grinding wheel) of a
thermostat from an Australian Nissan until it suited but there is no doubt
some similar North American solution.
Also don't underestimate the benefit of flushing the rad with a garden
hose. Sometimes a surprising amount of stuff comes out and even if it
doesn't help your cooling problem, you feel better, and it was free.
Regards,
Jim
TS81417LO

Check out the new British Cars Forum: