4A Wiper Motor

Subject: 4A Wiper Motor
From: "Guy D. Huggins" <guy@genfiniti.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:29:46 -0500
Can anyone out there help me with this thing.  I've got a '65 TR4A and
have recently reconditioned the wiper motor.

Its the 2 speed variety (I think) because it has the "1" and "2"
terminals which each take a positively charged wire that comes from the
switch on the dash, which changes the motor speed from off, to slow, to
fast.  It also has an "E" next to one of the long bolts, which I am sure
is for the ground.  So, in the real world, this thing would have 2
positive wires, switched, and one ground.

I applied 12V of DC charge to the 1 terminal and grounded the motor on
the "E" and the thing didn't turn, or whine or hum.  Nothing!
So, I pulled the cover off of the front, and repeated the test, this
time grounding the motor on the surface of the case (since I had removed
the bolt).  Nothing!
I checked the charge at each brush and got 12V strong.  I checked the
charge on the wire that is attached to the parking switch plate, got 12V
there too!
So it appears as if 12V is running to everywhere it is supposed to be
running to (brushes and park switch wire), but the armature won't turn.

Is this a ground issue?  I'm not exactly sure of the electrics behind
this, but I think the 12V+ enters through one of the two terminals (1 or
2, switch decides), goes into the arms which hold the brushes and
eventually into the brushes themselves.  This is then transferred into
the armature, because of its contact with the brushes, which is supposed
to somehow magically start spinning due to some created field.  Is it
possible that this field is not being created for some reason?

Or, could this be a mechanical issue and everything is just too tight in
there?  I can turn the armature with my fingers, but have no way of
knowing if its too tight because I don't know what the clearances are.

Peace be with you!

Guy D. Huggins

1965 Triumph TR4A
CTC 63569LO