RE: 4A Wiper Motor

Subject: RE: 4A Wiper Motor
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:07:31 -0700
> I'm not exactly sure of the electrics behind
> this, but I think the 12V+ enters through one of the two terminals (1 or
> 2, switch decides), goes into the arms which hold the brushes and
> eventually into the brushes themselves.  This is then transferred into
> the armature, because of its contact with the brushes, which is supposed
> to somehow magically start spinning due to some created field.

If it's a wound-field motor like the TR2-4 have, one terminal is connected
to one of the brush arms.  The other terminal is connected to the field
windings, and the other end of the field windings is connected to the other
brush arm.  So the normal current flow is in one terminal, through the
armature and field, then out through the other terminal.

In order to have automatic parking, the park switch grounds one of the
terminals (which is grounded through the switch in normal operation).
During 'parking' is the only time the 'E' (ground) terminal is important.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: