RE: Idle musings about TRactor flywheels & ring gears

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Idle musings about TRactor flywheels & ring gears
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 06:54:59 -0700
> A regular propane torch will work, gently heat the sides,inside
> of the ring
> gear.  How hot?  I usually guess but just over 200* F should be
> OK, a small
> sprinkle of water should sizzle and dance.

Has to be well over 212F to make water sizzle and dance ... as I recall this
is more like 350-450.

Tough to heat the entire ring evenly with a spot source like a propane
torch, and as the book warns, overheating will ruin the temper.

Just my $.02 ... a used toaster oven is cheaper than another ring gear, let
alone having to replace it.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: