getting the job done

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: getting the job done
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:23:57 -0400
Today I managed to get all of the serious mechanical stuff done in
the process of installing a rebuilt OD tranny in the Spitfire.  It
has been a loooong process for a variety of reasons.  Bolts that
won't fit in or thread properly, broken engine mounts, the HEAVY
weight of the OD version, wiring tabs broken, bolts missing, pieces
rusted, etc.  Still have the interior stuff to do, a bit of wiring
repair, the broken engine shrouds to ponder over, replace, or throw
away.  Plus I see lots of surficial rust starting on parts of the
suspension, the floor pan, the frame, etc.  Not sure what will be the
best thing to do about it.

I must say that after 25 years of driving, maintaining, and spending
money on the Spitfire (and more recently the GT6), I'm getting tired
of all the work.  I no longer read all the Triumph email.  Stopped
bothering to write any email about technical stuff maybe 6 months
when I realized two things:  1. I'd been writing mostly after
consuming a few IPA's following a hard day of wrenching.  The result
all too often was that it missed a key point or was just technically
wrong.  I didn't like the idea that I'd been making such dumb
mistakes.  (2) Plenty of other folks on the email list have far more
experience, knowledge, and training than I'll ever have.  Don't have
the time or the space or the tools to do things right.  Have the
funds, sorta' more or less, but there are plenty of other things I
could use them for.

So where does that leave me?  Don't really know.  I'm tempted to sell
one (or both) of the cars, but don't know which it would be.  In the
old days I wanted to race but that will never happen for a variety of
reasons.  The "sports car" culture no longer appeals like it did when
I was 25.  But I'm open to suggestions...

Jim Muller
muller@pop.rcn.com

Check out the new British Cars Forum: