Re: Hard Starting/Stalling/ Wit's End

To: TR <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Hard Starting/Stalling/ Wit's End
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:46:36 -0700
RangerCRS wrote:

>My '76 TR6 is misbehaving. It's had a slight miss at idle but was otherwise
>running good, or seemed to be. Suddenly, it refuses to start... I have
>installed a
>new coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condensor...

Did the problem occur before you replaced all the ignition compnents and
continue with the new parts in place... or did it get worse with the new
parts?

I wouldn't assume that new parts are always good but if the same problem
was there before & after then a fault in the new parts seems unlikely.

Did you replace the wire from the coil to the distributor (might be
white w/ black tracer)?  That thing can break inside and cause
intermittent contact with symptoms as you describe.

By all means check the fuel flow as suggested though your description
and timing light test suggest an ignition problem to me.

I assume of course that the timing and points gap have been double-checked.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon, AZ