RE: 1960 TR3

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: 1960 TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 18:13:25 -0700
> Adjusting the twin carbs is difficult, even for a "pro".

Nonsense !

Get a copy of the "SU tool kit", sold by Moss et all (for an outrageous
price, considering what's in it, but they generally go for even more on
eBay).  Follow the instructions in it.  There are only a few adjustments to
make, and they're all easy.  The "lift the piston" test gives instant,
accurate results (on these early, pre-smog) carbs.  If you don't get a clear
indication, then something else is wrong (like ignition timing, valve
clearance, point gap, etc.).

> Lastly, the idle speed is the last thing you set.

The warm idle speed is absolutely non-critical, and will vary with
conditions.  As long as it's close, leave it alone.

Personally, I set the choke synchronization last.  It makes a substantial
difference to how the engine runs cold.

Randall

Check out the new British Cars Forum: