RE: TR6 exhaust systems

Subject: RE: TR6 exhaust systems
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:42:26 -0800
Cc: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> No, Fred spoke without being informed.  The company selling those Bell
> exhausts, the sole US importer of Bell exhausts, has been in business even
> longer than The Backorder Factory.

So, Kai, why aren't you informing us ?  Like who exactly you think is
selling those exhausts on eBay ... since they didn't bother to identify
themselves.  Presumably you're talking about Engel Imports ... why won't you
(or they) say so ?  Something to hide, perhaps ?

>  Just because they offload excess
> inventory on eBay has nothing to do with their stability or their
> ability to honor a warranty.

Except that they specifically said the exhaust was backed by someone else's
warranty, which normally indicates that they do not warrant it at all
(except to the extent required by law, one assumes, but maybe that's why
they don't say who they are).

Engel is primarily a parts wholesaler.  I've never dealt with them directly,
so I don't know for sure (yeah, I'm uninformed too) ... but many parts
wholesalers refuse to become involved in warranty matters.   Are the parts
perhaps only warranted if they are returned pre-paid to the factory in Ulan
Bator ?  Only if that factory in Ulan Bator decides the problem is a
manufacturing defect (if not you get to pay shipping both ways) ?  Who knows
?  Without having the terms of the warranty clearly stated, and who is
obligated to honor them, the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

> So if Fred had known the company selling the goods on eBay, he would have
> properly acknowledged that both the Bell and Falcon exhausts carry a
> lifetime warranty and that both companies would honor those respective
> warranties.

Except that the only company Fred mentioned is right here in the USA, and
honors warranty claims directly.  Presumably the "Bell" you're referring to
is "Bell Silencer Services, Ltd" in the UK ... but again how are we to know
?  Could just as easily be Bell's Exhaust in Indiana ... good luck getting
them to honor a warranty on parts you bought on eBay !
http://bells-exhaust.9601338071004.worldpages-ads.com/

Perhaps, as you say, Engel Imports does stand behind the exhaust they're
selling on eBay.  But it sure seems odd to me that they don't say so !  If
they're anywhere near as savvy as you'd like us to think, there has to be a
reason other than simple omission that they didn't.

- Equally cranky Randall