Re: TR3A Steering Wheel Repair

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Steering Wheel Repair
From: "Terry Smith" <terryrs@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:55:42 -0400
> My cars steering wheel has two cracks going all the way through the
> material. These are approximately 180 degrees apart. Does this in any way
> provide a concern? If anyone has a process for repair of these cracks
> please
> let me know.
> Thanks, Fran
> 1958 TR3A TS32465L
> Somers, CT

Fran,

I had the same problem.  Consensus on the list was JB Weld, a two part epoxy
available very inexpensively from Autozone and nearly any other parts supply
house.  Clean the cracks thoroughly, dry, mix the JB Weld, and putty in with
a popsickle stick.  When it's done hardening, it easily sands to the
contours of the wheel.  Buy a steering wheel cover and you'll never see the
repairs.

Have fun!

Terry Smith
'59 TR3A  TS 58667 (Body still off, but front half pretty much done; frame,
suspension, and running gear rebuilt.)
New Hampshire