RE: TR3A Steering Wheel Repair

To: "Francis P. Gowash" <fpgowash@cox.net>,
Subject: RE: TR3A Steering Wheel Repair
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 09:04:51 -0700
> My cars steering wheel has two cracks going all the way through the
> material. These are approximately 180 degrees apart. Does this in any way
> provide a concern? If anyone has a process for repair of these cracks please
> let me know.

The plastic is non-structural, so cracks are only a concern in that they may
allow (or indicate) rust on the underlying steel.

Some people have reported good luck filling the cracks with epoxy putty (eg JB
Weld) and filing and sanding back to shape; but I just put a leather cover over
mine, cracks and all.  I really like the cover (originally from Moss, don't know
if they still sell the same thing) and will be putting one on my 'new' TR3 even
though I sourced a nearly-perfect original steering wheel on eBay for it.

FWIW, Kas Kastner says wooden steering wheels were outlawed in the West coast
racing clubs, after an accident where a Morgan's steering wheel splintered.
Might be something to think about, if you're tempted by an aftermarket wooden
wheel.

Randall