Panel Bonding Floor pans & sills

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Panel Bonding Floor pans & sills
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:34:06 -0400
Well,  I am finishing my course in Auto collision and repair at our local
votec school since I needed to do something to stay out of trouble. Tonight
there was a presentation by 3M at school for the collision pro's in town. I
got to go and one of the points made by the presenter was that, among other
parts that can be "bonded" using adhesives are floor pans and sills in
non-unitized vehicles.  That would include the TR line from 2-6 I belive
and I'm not sure what the TR7/8 is.

Let me say the usual disclaimer..I have no interest, etc, etc...:-)

Anyway, the presenter said that the 3M product, 8115, eliminates the need
to weld, the inherent seam sealing that takes place. It can be used to bond
steel, aluminum, sheet-molded compounds (SMC), and fiber reinforced
plastic. It's also used for plastic repair such as plastic bumpers, etc
since it can be sanded. It absolutely cannot be used in any area involving
structural components. 3M does "guarantee" it for the life of the
repair...no matter who owns the vehicle. They say that includes parts,
labor, and loss of use of vehicle.

All that being said, has anyone on this list had experience with panel
bonding? I contemplating using the process on the TR4 when I get to that
point.  It apparently is not a new process  having been used in aircraft
for many years and there are several auto manufacturers who use this
process and have specs for panel bonding material. When I toured the Panoz
"factory" a couple of months ago, they use adhesives to join the aluminum
frame members!

Comments appreciated.

Doug
63TR3B