RE: Panel Bonding Floor pans & sills

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Doug Mathews"
Subject: RE: Panel Bonding Floor pans & sills
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:53:14 -0400
Doug,
Last summer I finished up replacing both floors and both sills in my TR4A.
>From my experience, I would have to say that the sills are structural
components. They basically hold the front and rear clip together. More
importantly, they are the base attachment point for the "A" and "B" post.
Another thing I found on my car was that the bottom of the "A" and "B" post
were rusted and required extensive patching.
This might be difficult to glue.
Welding isn't that hard to learn. You may find that once you get into it,
there may not be enough good glue points to attach the sills. Buying a
welder is about a $800.00 to $1,000.00 tool by the time you get the MIG
welder and the gas but you will find it well worth it. They hold their value
quite well so you could plan on getting most of your money back after all
the welding is done.

If you want to take a look at what I had to do, here is a link to my car
website. I don't know what kind condition your car is in but I would plan on
expecting the worst and being pleasantly surprised (hopefully).

http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a

If you have any questions about doing these repairs, let me know. I am no
expert but I have "been there".
Best Regards,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A