TR3 engine rebuild

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 engine rebuild
From: "Todd Richmond" <fatherof5@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 23:20:30 -0600
Howdy all,

I've been off the list a couple of years finishing various landscaping and
interior decorating projects for our home.  Now I'm finally at a point where I
can think about "The Project" in the garage.  I've been cleaning the garage
everyday now for about a week (!) getting ready to do some serious LBC work.
I'm back on the list, and ready to go!

I've decided that I want to try and get the engine running first since that
for me will be the most interesting and fun I think.  I have no idea when the
engine was in running condition last, but it is in pretty sad shape now (at
least on the surface).  I'm still weighing doing a complete rebuild versus
just doing enough to get it in running order, so I would welcome any advice or
considerations that I should take into account that I may not have asked about
below.  Here's my questions for all of you gurus:

1)  I'm good with my hands, learn quickly, and fairly technical
(electrical/computer engineer by trade).  Yet, I have no real engine
rebuilding experience except for small engine rebuilds and repairs.  Is
overhauling the engine something that I may get in over my head with, or will
proper care, planning, and sheer determination get the job done?  (BTW, we're
talking about a '59 TR3A).

2)  I don't know the state of the internals right now (it's not even in a
state where I can do a compression check), but let's assume it needs a
complete rebuild.  I've seen piston and liner sets advertised anywhere from
about $425 (British Parts Northwest) to over $800 (Roadster Factory).  What's
the difference between and good set and a bad/mediocre set, and how much
should I care?

3)  Oil seal replacement is a given right?  Does this require mainshaft
regrinding?

4)  How do you calculate horsepower from the piston bore size (all other
things being equal).  For example, how much does going from 86mm to 87mm buy
you?  And what is the reasonable limit to how large a bore you can use without
too much overhead?  I've heard of 89mm bores, but do these require special
machining, etc?

5)  Powder coating.  I'd like to powder coat as much as possible.  Assuming I
don't get powder coating where I shouldn't, is there any problem with powder
coating any of the external surfaces of the engine.  I'm thinking in terms of
warping due to heat, or other problems to be aware of.

Well, I've got more, but that's enough for now.  It's been great reading all
the posts from familiar members, although most of you probably don't remember
me.  In any case, I really appreciate all your time and help with answering my
questions.

Cheers,

Todd Richmond
1959 TR3A