TR3 rear wheels astray

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 rear wheels astray
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 22:45:18 -0400
It may seem silly, but, how do the rear wheels become properly pointed
forward? IOW, how do I make certain the rear axle is perpendicular to the main
rails.  You see, I've seperated the TR3A's conventional axle from it's leaf
springs.  Doing this required removing all four "U" bolts from the shock
absorber assembly plates (they're the one with four holes for the U Bolts, and
below the leaf springs on each side of the car).

Now that it's time for reassembly, I had to watch how I did it carefully as
each "U" bolt has it's own "nub" (1/2" wide) on the top side of the axle.  I
had a heck of a time making sure the U bolts were on the inside of both
'nubs'. Because I have my tub off I can clearly see what I am doing with my
frame.

It would seem possible that I MIGHT accidentily clamp the axle with the U
bolts in slightly different leaf spring locations.

 Before I tightend all U bolts (torqued to 30 ft. pounds) I am unsure of where
along the leaf springs the U bolts ought to be tightened?  Yes, the rear axle
is 'loaded' and cradled by jack stands.  These stands are where the wheels
normally sit.

Can you please send me your advice directly as my Triumph mail  usually comes
in digest mode!  Thanks in advance!
I'm sorry, I didn't find this info in Haynes or Bentley.

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A