RE: TR3 rear wheels astray

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: TR3 rear wheels astray
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 21:04:56 -0700
> It may seem silly, but, how do the rear wheels become properly pointed
> forward? IOW, how do I make certain the rear axle is perpendicular to the main
> rails.  You see, I've seperated the TR3A's conventional axle from it's leaf
> springs.  Doing this required removing all four "U" bolts from the shock
> absorber assembly plates (they're the one with four holes for the U Bolts, and
> below the leaf springs on each side of the car).

The bolts through the center of the leaves have a head that should engage with a
hole in the spring perch welded to the axle.  It's not a real precision fit, but
that's how it was done.

Once it's all assembled, if you want to, you can loosen the U-bolts again and
tap the axle fore or aft with a BFH (to the limits of the slop between the bolt
head and the hole in the spring perch).  But a slight misalignment isn't a
problem.

Randall