Re: TR3 rear wheels astray

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 rear wheels astray
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:49:12 -0500
On Saturday 09 April 2005 09:45 pm, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> It may seem silly, but, how do the rear wheels become properly pointed
> forward? IOW, how do I make certain the rear axle is perpendicular to the
> main rails.  You see, I've seperated the TR3A's conventional axle from it's
> leaf springs.  Doing this required removing all four "U" bolts from the
> shock absorber assembly plates (they're the one with four holes for the U
> Bolts, and below the leaf springs on each side of the car).
>
> Now that it's time for reassembly, I had to watch how I did it carefully as
> each "U" bolt has it's own "nub" (1/2" wide) on the top side of the axle.
> I had a heck of a time making sure the U bolts were on the inside of both
> 'nubs'. Because I have my tub off I can clearly see what I am doing with my
> frame.
>
> It would seem possible that I MIGHT accidentily clamp the axle with the U
> bolts in slightly different leaf spring locations.
>
>  Before I tightend all U bolts (torqued to 30 ft. pounds) I am unsure of
> where along the leaf springs the U bolts ought to be tightened?  Yes, the
> rear axle is 'loaded' and cradled by jack stands.  These stands are where
> the wheels normally sit.
>
> Can you please send me your advice directly as my Triumph mail  usually
> comes in digest mode!  Thanks in advance!
> I'm sorry, I didn't find this info in Haynes or Bentley.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Dorsey
> 60 TR3A

Paul,

When you place the axle on the springs, there should be a male nub on the
spring, which is the bolt that holds the spring leafs together and a
corresponding female recess on the axle. This correct placement insures that
the axle is alligned. The shock absorber plate should fit nicely under the
spring and centered by the nut that holds the same above bolt.
Once you have the parts in place there should be only one place for the u
bolts to fit. I would tighten them equally snug then set the torque.

Bob Labuz

1958 TR3A
1963 TR4
1974 T140V