RE: TR3 Drive Train Angle - Might be tricky..

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Drive Train Angle - Might be tricky..
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:32:50 -0700
> So for you list Gurus - does the TR3 have the tranny output flange a few
> degrees higher than the motor, and the differential drive  flange
> pointing to
> the ground, or am I missing something?

To the best of my knowledge, no, but I've never tried to measure it.  I
think both the engine/transmission and the differential were originally
level with the frame.  The crank dog has to be in-line with the output
flange, and they're both several inches (maybe 5 or so) above the frame on
an original TR3.

If you need to bring the differential nose up to match your engine
installation, you can either have the spring perches cut and re-welded, or
put wedges between the perches and the springs.  My old motorhome used
wedges to set the king pin inclination, so maybe you could find wedges under
some old truck with a solid front axle in the junk yard.  Or spend some
quality time with a grinder and some flat bar.  Might even be worth checking
with your local 4x4 supply (but most of those folks don't seem to worry
about minor things like alignment and vibration).

Randall