Re: aluminum wheels

To: hsawatsk@sasktel.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: aluminum wheels
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:40:12 EDT
In a message dated 4/11/05 12:05:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hsawatsk@sasktel.net writes:

<<  We have aluminium sport wheels on a vehicle and one has developed a very
small pin hole leak.  >>

There is a factory fix for porous wheels that involves dismounting the tire
then painting the air side the wheel.

Try testing the wheel at a lower air pressure, automotive machine shop guys
on another board check cylinder heads at a low pressure ( 15 PSI ) and find
cracks that won't show up at 30 PSI.

Is the tire bead completely defect free?  Tires seal on the radius of the
bead, a torn bead sometimes seals on the sides but when the car is driven the
flexing causes air to leak.  I've had tires park just right and go down that
had
bead damage.

Metal valve with caps seals are a good idea as a backup to the valve.

If you are using rubber valve stems, flex it back and forth while looking for
leaks.

Worst case, dismount and swap the tires from another wheel, see if the
problem follows.

Harold